Decisions Are Made Too Quickly
Research shows that the "typical" interview takes about 30-45 minutes and the "unskilled interviewing" does most of the talking. Furthermore, a separate research study showed that many interviewers make their mind up within the first 2-3 minutes of the interview!
Tips for Business Owners and Hiring Managers
- Recognize that the interview is only about data collection and not decision making!
- Decide up front which competencies are more important than others and allow more questions to be asked for the more important ones.
- Plan the interview to cover all competencies and assign coverage to other interviewers.
- Allow ample time for the applicant to ask questions.
- Make sure you are not interrupted.
- Take notes during the interview so when you are done, you will know "who said what."
© 2016 World Class HR and Victor Bullara, Master Trainer and Certified Master Coach